How we protect you with our fraud prevention and detection measures
The security of your accounts is a priority for Tesco Bank.
We feel that the best way to keep you secure without impacting your ability to use your accounts is by using a multi-layered approach that uses tools and techniques that targets individual fraud issues.
We would like to tell you about some of the things we have in place to protect you and your money.
Current accounts email and SMS alerts
We send alerts by either text message (SMS) or email. We send alerts when certain activities occur against your account, for example, we've sent you a new debit card, you've updated your mobile phone number or we've tried to contact you and haven't been able to talk to you. If you are certain that you didn't update your account details, for example, change address, you should contact us to ensure that your account has not been compromised.
Credit card email and SMS alerts
We may sometimes email you to tell you about the following:
- Features about your account that are either new, you have yet to use or have changed.
- Reminders that your statement is available to view online or that you have a payment due.
- Notifications that you have changed some of your personal or security details with us. This is a particularly important fraud-prevention measure. If you are notified of a change you didn't make, contact our fraud team.
- Reminders about registering for Online Banking if you are not already registered.
- You can setup your account to receive SMS text message alerts from us. They will always include the Text Message Password that you chose during set up and the last four digits of your credit card number.
- We can also send you an SMS with a Temporary Security Number that will allow you to register for Online Banking if you haven’t already done so.
- We may also sometimes send an SMS text message requesting that you call us. If you are unsure of the source of these messages you can always call the number on your statement or the back of your card.
Savings accounts email and SMS alerts
We send alerts by either text message (SMS) or email. We send alerts when you update personal details, such as mobile number, phone number and home address. If you are certain that you didn't update your account details, for example, change address, you should contact us to ensure that your account has not been compromised.
We use a variety of sophisticated tools that monitor account behaviour for signs of fraud. These tools significantly reduce the risk of fraud occurring on your account.
Alerts to protect you from suspicious activity are sent by SMS or email, as soon as we notice this activity, whatever the time.
Help with alerts
If you are unsure about the authenticity of the phone call, SMS text message or letter then please call the number on your statement or card. Alternatively, please click the link below to find a relevant security and fraud number.
Enhanced online banking security
We use the latest technology to manage your Online Banking and Mobile Banking App experiences. Not only does this reduce the risk of fraud but it also makes Online Banking easier. Here are some of the features of our new Online Banking security:
Two-factor authentication security
We use a two-factor authentication security when you register and log in to Tesco Bank Online Banking or the Mobile Banking App. We do this to ensure that we can always verify:
- 'Something You Have' - your mobile phone or your computer, and
- 'Something You Know' - your login or account details
This prevents fraudsters from using stolen security details to access your account online.
All our servicing and application processes are protected through a secure connection. You can tell whether you are using a secure connection as your browser will show either icons in the address bar or padlock symbols on the bottom bar of the browser window.
Tesco Bank Secure
Tesco Bank Secure provides an extra layer of security when making purchases online.
Provided in association with 'Verified by Visa' and 'MasterCard® SecureCode™', it is part of the 3D Secure standard and helps protect your debit or credit card against unauthorised use when you purchase from participating retailers.
How it works
When you use your debit or credit card online at a participating retailer, a 'receipt' will appear at the end of the purchase process, displaying details of your purchase, as well as your Personal Message. Check that the information is displayed before you enter the requested three characters from your password to complete the purchase. Your request will be processed immediately.
If you don't see your Personal Message, don't enter any of your password information and contact us straightaway on 0345 671 0679*. Remember, we will never ask for your full password online.
*This number may be included as part of any inclusive call minutes provided by your phone operator.
Although we have a range of anti-fraud systems and tools to help prevent and detect fraud that stems from phishing emails we also work to close down phishing websites as soon as we detect or are notified of them.
This not only reduces the risk of phishing but also protects unsuspecting recipients of phishing emails from being targeted by any malware that is attached to links in the phishing message.
Your help is vital in this process so if you think that you've received a phishing email please forward it to us.