Top 5 FAQs
Box Insurance - for main drivers aged 17-25
If you're aged 17-25, we could help you save on your car insurance.
The concept is simple; we install a smart box in your car and the device shows us how you drive. This allows us to reward safe driving with monthly bonus miles. Your price at renewal may increase or decrease and will depend on a number of factors, one of them being poor driving behaviour.
Tesco Bank Box Insurance is arranged and administered by Insure The Box Limited and is underwritten by Catlin Insurance Company (UK) Ltd. and Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) plc.
Tesco Bank Box Insurance is designed to be affordable. But that's not all...
- Check how you drive - log in to your portal and you'll see feedback on how you're doing, along with some helpful hints and tips on how you might be able to improve. You can also see details of any Bonus Miles you've earned.
- Fixed premium for the year - make budgeting easy. There are no automatic price reviews, curfews or fines.
- Accident Alert - the box can sense any strong impact on the car. We can then check you're OK and, if required, try to arrange to send help.
- Theft Tracking - the box can also work as a theft tracking device, so we can help find your car if it is stolen.
- Choose 6,000, 8,000 or 10,000 miles - top up if you need to.
- Rewards for safe driving - drive well and each month you could earn up to 100 Bonus Miles.
- Earn a no-claim discount - for every year you don't make a claim, you'll build up your own no-claim discount.
And of course, there's other great benefits such as windscreen cover and a small courtesy car (exclusions apply).
We also include motor legal protection as standard. Terms and conditions apply.
Not sure Tesco Bank Box Insurance is what you're looking for?
Then why not try Tesco Car Insurance instead?
Motor Legal Protection (Tesco Legal Guard) is provided by Ageas Insurance Limited.
Tesco Car Insurance is arranged and administered by Tesco Bank and is underwritten by a select range of insurers.
To qualify for a courtesy car, your car must be repaired by an approved repairer. A courtesy car is not available if your car has been written off or has been stolen and is still missing. A courtesy car is not available to customers where the vehicle insured is a van.
Up to £100,00 of cover for legal costs and expenses if you ever need to claim compensation for personal injury against the person responsible for the accident, where you are more likely than not to have a successful outcome. Terms and conditions apply; see the policy booklet for more details.
How it works
Box Insurance looks at how you drive, not just your age group. We let you prove to us that you're a safe young driver by installing a small box in your car, tucked neatly out of sight.
What is the box and what does it do?
The box (also known as an in-tele-box) is a little device, about the size of a mobile phone. It uses similar technology to that found in a sat nav and smartphone, to send us information about how you drive.
This helps us see how you're driving, by looking at things such as speed, braking, road type, time of day and the number of rest breaks you take on long journeys.
All this information allows us to reward good driving with monthly Bonus Miles and, at the end of year, to help calculate your renewal premium.
You can see how you're doing too, as we upload this information to your own portal every day.
Fitting the box
You're insured from the moment the policy starts, but you must have the box fitted within 14 days of buying the policy*.
After you buy a policy, we will call to arrange for a fully trained fitter to install the box, at a time and place convenient for you.
The box will be fitted out of the way behind the dashboard - it usually takes around an hour. Once fitted, you won't even know it's there.
* If the box is not fitted within 14 days, we reserve the right to cancel the policy.
Check your driving online
We will give you access to your own portal, so you can log in and check how you're doing. You'll be able to see things like:
- The time of day or night you drive
- The speed you drive on different types of roads
- How smoothly you drive (braking and accelerating)
- The journeys you make
- The total miles you've used, and how many you have left
- Details of any Bonus Miles you've been awarded
On top of this, you can also check your policy documents, buy Top Up Miles and, when the time comes, renew your policy.
Bonus Miles and topping up
You can choose to take out a 6,000, 8,000 or 10,000 mile policy. This is often enough for most young drivers, but it's easy to top up if you need more miles - simply call us, or buy miles by logging in to your portal.
You can also earn up to 100 Bonus Miles every month. The safer we think you are on the roads, the more Bonus Miles we'll reward you with.
If you still have unused Bonus or Top Up Miles at the end of the policy, don't worry - we'll carry them over to your new policy when you renew.
It's important you make sure you maintain enough miles and top up when you need to, otherwise your policy will be cancelled.
Accident Alert and theft tracking
Box Insurance is not only about you showing us how you drive; it has some other great benefits to give even more reassurance to you and your family.
The box can alert us to any strong impact on the car. Our trained claims handlers can then look at the data to see what might have happened. If it seems you might have been in a serious accident or need help, we will try to call you to see if you're OK. If we can't contact you, then based on the information we have, we may contact the emergency services and ask that they attend. In all circumstances you should notify us of any accidents.
If your car is stolen, the box can help us track it. All you need to do is report it to the police and get a crime reference number. Then call us and we'll be able to help from there.
How will we use your driving data?
The in-tele-box collects information about your driving. We use this data to reward safe driving with Bonus Miles, as well as to help calculate your renewal premium. The data also helps us to assess claims and prevent fraud. While we recommend you drive at a speed that is appropriate for the road and driving conditions, we will not refuse a claim purely on the grounds of the speed you were driving at.
We keep all your data, including driving data, safe and confidential. We will never share driving data with the police or other bodies without a court order or your consent, unless we suspect fraud.
If you sell your car, cancel your policy or decide not to renew at the end of the policy term, we will stop recording your driving information.
Breakdown cover can be added during your Box Insurance quote online. Or add it to an existing policy by calling 0330 022 2202.
Here's what's on offer:
- All roadside labour and fitting costs are included
- RAC is Britain's most experienced breakdown provider
- Over 1400 highly trained and dedicated patrols
- 4 out of 5 vehicles are fixed at the roadside (source)
Source: RAC Management and Insight, Jan - Dec 2012.
Tesco Breakdown Cover is provided by RAC Motoring Services and/or RAC Insurance Limited.
Cover for lost and stolen keys
Add Key Cover to your Tesco Bank Car Insurance policy for a range of great benefits:
- Cover for all keys attached to your Tesco Bank fob
- Cover for all associated locks
- Cover limits of £1,500 per year
- No excess to pay
- No impact on your no-claims discount
- Access to our 24/7 incident number
What we cover:
- All keys on your Tesco Bank fob (e.g. car, home, garage, etc.)
- Stolen keys
- Locked out
- Lost keys
- Helpful finders service if keys are found
- Hire car or hotel costs if you are stranded (limits apply)
Vehicle hire for up to 3 days (up to £40 per day) Up to £120 towards overnight accommodation
- Cover throughout the EU
Key Cover commences 14 days after the motor policy start date. This policy does not cover keys already lost/stolen. Keys must be attached to the unique key fob we provide. You must notify us within 30 days of any loss or theft of keys. All receipts and/or invoices must be submitted to us within 120 days of the loss or theft of keys.
Tesco Bank Key Cover is arranged and administered by Tesco Bank and is underwritten by Ageas Insurance Limited. Claims are handled by Keycare Limited (trading as Keycare).