How to identify a genuine email from Tesco Bank
Any links to Tesco Bank webpages will include tescobank.com in the address. If you have any suspicions, visit our website directly instead of using the link in the email.
We will never ask you to login to your online banking via a link in an email or SMS/text message.
We will never ask you for your full 6-digit PIN, either by phone or online.
What is a phishing email?
Phishing emails and texts contain a link that directs the user's web browser to a site that, to all intents and purposes, appears authentic. Phishing emails and texts can also contain links and attachments that will download malware on to your device, compromising its security. There are however a few telltale signs you can look out for.
Identifying a phishing email or text message
- They usually have a generic greeting, and won't address you by name.
- They often contain poor grammar, punctuation and layout.
- They usually have a sense of urgency, i.e. ' Your account will be locked in 48 hours!'
- The majority will include a link that asks you to login to your account - the link will take you to a compromised site, or could compromise the security of your device by downloading malware onto it.
Follow these precautions to help protect yourself:
- Don’t respond to emails or texts that do not address you personally or emails that you are not expecting to receive.
- Be wary of emails or texts offering you free vouchers, or alerting you to a notification or problem with your account or security.
- Hover your mouse over any links, to reveal their true destinations - never click on them.
- Always login to your account by opening your browser and manually typing in the name of the site you want to visit, or follow a saved bookmark.
- Don’t click on links that ask you to login to your account.
- Don't open attachments unless you are expecting to receive them from a known sender.
If you have not opted out of receiving marketing emails, we may occasionally send you offers about other Tesco and Tesco Bank offers.
We will never email you links that direct you to your account login page.