Life insurance with critical illness cover
Don't let medical problems become financial problems if you or a child is diagnosed with a critical illness
If you can't work because of serious illness, how would you meet your household expenses, pay your mortgage or make modifications to your home? With Tesco Bank Life and Critical Illness Insurance you will receive a lump sum if you or a child are diagnosed with one of the illnesses defined in the policy.
Get £80 in Tesco Gift Cards
Available to new customers with a Clubcard who apply by 11th October and then buy the policy. Quote promotional code L8GPB to get £80 in Tesco Gift Cards. Additional terms and conditions
How does it work?
What is Critical Illness cover?
What is Critical Illness cover?
Critical illness cover could help take the financial strain if you develop a defined critical illness. You can choose Life and Critical Illness Insurance, we don't offer critical illness on its own.
The critical illness part of your policy will pay out a lump sum if you are diagnosed with one of the critical illnesses covered by the policy and survive for 14 days. The life insurance cover pays out if you die during the policy term. The policy will end if a full Critical Illness claim is paid. The policy will only pay out once.
Please remember that with level cover the amount you're covered for stays the same throughout the term of the policy. So the purchasing power of your lump sum will be reduced by the effect of inflation.
You need to be aged 18 to 59 to apply and the policy term must be between 5 and 40 years. You can cancel your policy at any time but you won't get any money back.
Please make sure you read the policy documents before applying. See our policy documents
What is covered?
What is covered?
The critical illness part of your policy will pay out a lump sum if you are diagnosed with one of the critical illnesses defined by the policy. The critical illness conditions covered include, but are not limited to:
- Cancer - excluding less advanced cases
- Heart attack - of a specified severity
- Stroke and coma - which results in permanent symptoms
- Alzheimer's disease or pre-senile dementia - before age 65, which results in permanent symptoms
- Parkinson's disease - before age 65, which results in permanent symptoms
You’re also covered for some other less severe conditions which pay 20% of the sum insured, up to a maximum of £20,000. And there's no catch if you claim for one of these additional conditions: it won't end your policy or affect the amount that can be claimed under your life insurance or critical illness cover.
Covers your children automatically – no extra cost
Children's critical illness cover is automatically included when you choose Life insurance with Critical Illness Cover. It could help if you have to take unpaid leave, or have additional expenses.
Your children are covered if they are diagnosed with one of the children's critical illnesses defined in the policy. The children's benefit is limited to £25,000 or 50% of the guaranteed lump sum, whichever is lower.
You'll find full details of all of the conditions covered in the policy conditions. See our policy documents
How much will it cost?
It might cost less than you think
The amount of your monthly premium will depend on your personal circumstances, the term you choose, the type of cover and the amount you choose to be covered for.
For example, a healthy non smoking 30 year old choosing level cover life insurance with critical illness cover could pay just £25.78 a month for £100,000 cover over 20 years (correct as at 14/12/15, subject to change).
And with guaranteed premiums your monthly premium will never go up - even if there's a change in your health or lifestyle.
How do you claim?
Help when you need it most
Our friendly UK call centres are here to guide you through the claim process.
Also in life insurance
Tools and guides
Contact us - we're here to help
Need a few questions answered? Want to chat rather than scroll? Our UK-based teams are here to talk to you six days a week. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am-8pm and Saturday 9am-5pm.
Call 0800 015 7586 to chat about new policies.
Other customers have been asking:
Key product information and policy documents
Defaqto is an independent researcher of financial products.
About Critical Illness Cover
- Critical illness cover is taken out as part of a life insurance policy. It cannot be taken out alone
- For level cover, the purchasing power of your sum insured will be reduced by the effect of inflation
- If you cancel your policy at any time you won't get any money back
- Your policy ends after death or a full critical illness claim
Before you buy this policy, please read the key facts and policy conditions to make sure you're happy that this policy is right for you.
Free gift card additional terms and conditions
Free Gift Card additional terms and conditions
- The Gift Cards will be posted (no duplicates will be sent) to the policyholder’s address as 2 x £40 gift cards. The first £40 Gift Card will be sent after 4 monthly payments have been made and the 2nd Gift Card will be sent after 8 monthly payments have been made.
- Clubcard number must be provided during quote.
- Maximum two offers per household.
- If you cancel your policy or stop paying premiums, we will not send any outstanding gift cards.
- Not available to customers who have cancelled any Tesco Bank Life Insurance, Life and Critical Illness Insurance or Over 50’s Plan within the last 12 months.
- Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- This offer is not available when taking out free life insurance for new parents.