How to shop securely online
Who wouldn't prefer the peace and quiet of shopping in the comfort of your own home to fighting the crowds at the shopping centre?
As more and more people are taking advantage of internet shopping, incidences of credit fraud have also risen. But you don't have to miss out on the convenience of shopping online to avoid fraud; you just need to take a few precautions.
Shop on the internet with confidence with these useful tips
- Shopping with a credit card online can offer extra protection against fraud - Plus when you take out Tesco Card Protection Plus you are covered against the unauthorised use of your credit card if it is lost or stolen. And our loss reporting service ensures that your card is cancelled immediately.
- Use a secure connection - The most important thing to look for when paying with a credit card online is the padlock at the bottom of your browser. This shows that the site is secure. If the padlock is broken, so is the security on the site. Only put your credit card details into a site with a lock that is unbroken. Don't trust any site that says it is secure but has a broken padlock. You are putting your personal information at risk.
- Buy from well-known stores - Almost all businesses have websites these days and you should be able to buy at a good price from a brand name store like Tesco. If you find the product you want is cheaper or only available on an unknown site, check that they have contact details on their website. If there is no way of contacting the company other than on the web, don't buy from them. If they're happy to take your money but you can only contact them through their website, it's a big red flag.
- Make a note of what you order - Check payment and delivery details and read the terms of conditions carefully.
- Be safe not sorry - If you're not sure about a website or have any suspicions at all, don't go ahead with the transaction.